Monday, September 12, 2005

The Gods of transportation are angry with me

So I went to Tahoe last weekend. It was beautiful. We had a fantastic time. We swam in Lake Tahoe and in the Truckee River, drove around the lake, hiked down to Vikingsholm, watched fireworks at South Lake Tahoe, had a dip in a friend's hot tub, went up the Heavenly gondola. The trip itself was incredibly hot and very slow - Labor weekend traffic, plus a couple of accidents causing traffic jams.

Result: Car overheats. Gasket blows. Car that I was hoping to sell for around $2700 in a couple of weeks is now virtually undrivable.

We got back to Berkeley OK (with many stops), but by the next day I couldn't drive more than a mile without the car overheating. My mechanic said he wouldn't even be able to work on it for a couple of weeks, and then it could cost anything from $700 to well over a grand to fix. Possibly more if the cylinder head is cracked.

So I advertised it on Craigslist and the good news it I sold it for $100 over my asking price - got $1300, which may be a bargain for the guy who bought it if it's just the gasket that needs replacing. I was getting offers as low as $400, so I think I did OK.

But now I don't have a car and I still have 7 weeks before I leave the country.

And my bicycle got a flat tyre.

R.