Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Anzac biscuits and pavlova

I'm now going to take a break from working until insane hours every evening (last night I walked home after 1am - past a scene on Telegraph involving five police cars - so maybe that wasn't the best plan in the world), because I have to go home and bake Anzac biscuits for tomorrow's morning tea which isn't even supposed to be mine to take care of but my colleague is conveniently in the Philippines when it's his turn so I have to come up with morning tea for 20 people. By the way, if you don't know what morning tea is you're probably American and I don't care to explain it to you. In some circles it's also known as playlunch (ok, that's possibly only primary school circles circa 20-something years ago).

I don't know why I decided on Anzacs, which incidently are named after the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps because they were originally sent to these soldiers when they were in Gallipoli during the First World War. Some claim it as an Australian recipe, some as a New Zealand recipe. Sorry, I can't even find an interesting link about this. They are great biscuits though, and easy to make.

But it does bring me to the Great Pavlova Controversy. Pavlova is a meringue dessert named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. Australia (Perth, specifically) thinks they invented it. In fact, they're mostly not even aware there is a controversy. But the truth is, the pavlova is a New Zealand invention, or, at the very least, it seems likely it might have been.

Mmmm, pavlova...

R.