Tuesday, November 15, 2005

5 flights

1. 31 Oct: San Francisco to Los Angeles. Lowlights: checking in 4 bags, having to slightly rearrange the contents to stay within weight limits. Luckily I had a friend with me to help me get everything from the car to the check-in counter. I was only charged $80 excess baggage, so not too bad. Highlights: circling over San Francisco on a sunny afternoon - wonderful views from Golden Gate Park to Embarcadero and across the bay, including the bridges.

2. 31 Oct: Los Angeles to Auckland. Lowlights: long and boring wait in LAX. Customs confiscating my maracas in Auckland. Highlights: upgrade to Business class (on airpoints) - within five minutes of boarding I had a glass of champagne in my hand and the seat set to massage. The only downside was that I was so comfortable (Sky Bed!) that I actually slept really well and only got to watch one movie.

3. 2 Nov: Auckland to Wellington. Lowlights: being in economy after business class. Highlights: the Gay Maitre D' meeting me at Auckland international, walking with me to the domestic terminal, and buying me a coffee. And then the Editter and my cousin meeting me in Wellington.

4. 3 Nov: Wellington to Sydney. Lowlights: leaving Wellington so soon. Check in woman saying: "where on earth is this town you're flying to?" American tourgroup on the transfer bus in Sydney. Highlights: not being charged anything extra for overweight luggage. Customs in Sydney wanting to go through my bag but they couldn't really be bothered, and I was one of the last people in line, so they just let me through in the end. I was so relieved, as I was worried for my precious Colombian tolo (indigineous flute).

5. 3 Nov: Sydney to Regional Australia. Lowlights: customs officer saying "what's it like living in this town you're flying to?", implying it might not be somewhere one would choose to live. Qantas losing my sleeping bag. Highlights: being taken straight off the plane to a wine and cheese evening.

R.