Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Playing grown up

Yesterday, I:
1. Signed up for a flat (photos will of course be posted at some stage)
2. Bought a car (red 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage)
3. Bought a bed, mattress, tallboy, bedside tables, sofabed, bookcase and blanket box

This also means I signed up for thousands of dollars of debt.

Today I moved into the flat and took delivery of the furniture. I've been driving the car since Monday.

I still need to get a fridge, washing machine, phone, kitchen stuff and all the other miscellaneous stuff that one needs (like bedding). And then eventually I'll get a TV and more furniture. But in the meantime, I'm pretty much ready for visitors!

I'm really happy with my wee flat, it's in a cul-de-sac only a few blocks from town (snd no, that doesn't make it the outskirts of this town), I've been told it's just about the nicest part of this town. Two bedrooms, decent sized kitchen and living room, and a bit of garden with a clothesline! No bath, but that's the only downside I've noticed so far. The best thing is it's only AU$560 a month, which seems damn cheap to me considering my last place in the US cost US$800 a month for just a room in a house.

I'm really happy with my wee car too, it's red which means it goes fast.

And work is so far pretty awesome too. Nice people, beautiful campus. And I don't have to teach until February, although I do have a subject to write.

All in all I think I made the right decision in coming here. Sure, it's small town and it's hot (and gonna get hotter) and I'd forgotten how much I hate sticky Australian flies, but I think it will be just fine.

R