Saturday, January 14, 2006

insanity

In a moment of insanity, I sent an email out to a bunch of my colleagues on Thursday, inviting them over to my house for drinks and nibbles this afternoon. In three hours (at 4pm). It's my birthday week, and it's nice to have a housewarming. But right now, as I look around my house, I'm starting to freak just ever so slightly (not enough to leap off the computer and do something constructive, mind). The house is pretty much a mess, so I've got a fair bit of tidying up to do. And dishes. And making guacamole, garlic pita bread and ginger/cream cheese dip (damn, forgot to buy sesame seeds. The other ingredient is soy sauce). And having a shower and getting dressed. And watering the garden. And hiding the dead plants. And figuring out how to play my PMP (portable media player) through my tv speakers (no success so far).

At least yesterday I did the grocery shopping - including plastic cups, as I only own 4 glasses and 2 cups. Yesterday my main mission was to find a birthday present for my sister in Thailand. Everything I found was either pretty much rubbish, or made in Thailand. So I haven't bought anything yet. But I did buy myself some darts (for the Friday pub lunches - I feel like I belong now) and a beautiful new hybrid bike. And then I cycled all the way to Victoria and back (10km or so?).

Anyhoo, I have no idea how many people are going to show up - although there are a handful of definites, so I know I won't be sitting here all my own. I bet Australia is more punctual than Colombia. I'd better get a move on.

R.