Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Switzerland

It's warm and sunny. I'm staying in a house in a village just outside of Bern and all I can see are hills and pine trees and chalets. When I was walking down to the train station before I could hear cow bells. It's all very Swiss.

There is a village just outside of Zurich called Wankdorf. Tee hee.

My niece asked me to send her photos of castles. Here is one that I saw in Kehrsatz.


The football is on at a reasonable time here (i.e. doesn't interrupt sleep), and in fact I got over my jetlag by staying awake long enough to watch both Australia and Switzerland lose. Then I slept for 10 hours and since then I've been on Swiss time.

I've discovered my German is better than I thought - of course most people speak English but the children in the house I'm staying in don't and they seem to understand me and seem to think I understand them (I mostly do). I'm learning to speak Swiss. I'm also speaking lots of Spanish because my Swiss colleague's Costa Rican fiancee and her mother are also here. Sometimes I speak Spanish to the children and German to the Costa Ricans, which confuses everyone.

And that's all I have to report for now.

R.