Sunday, March 20, 2005

Creationism vs Evolution

Having dealt with the Pavlova Debate, I feel it's now time to tackle the Creationism vs Evolution debate.

No, not really.

But, the other day, I came back to my desk to find that my cousin had been IMing me. So I wrote back: "Sorry, I was teaching". And then, trying to be impressive, I added: "GIS for Ecology and Evolution".

"Pah, evolution", he said. "Don't get me started".

So I changed the topic but then I couldn't help myself. "So you're a creationist then?" I ventured.

"I'm no trousered ape" he said. Which I took to mean yes. "There's more evidence against evolution than for evolution", he added.

Now, a great deal of my family members would agree with him. And they are all educated, sane, intelligent people (they are related to me, after all). But while I admit that there is an awful lot about what happened millions of years ago that we just don't know or understand, still, to me, saying you don't believe in evolution is a bit like saying you don't believe in gravity.

So I changed the subject and asked him about his 18 month old and he asked me about my love life (as he is wont to do) and that was that.

Interestingly, that night I was up to the chapter in Bill Bryson's book about what we know about evolution.

I'm really just mentioning all this because I really was a little bit lost for words. I mean, what was I supposed to say? "You are too a trousered ape"?

I'm also mentioning this because it gives me an excellent excuse to post this link to the Creation Science Fair 2001. My favourite is "Women Were Designed for Homemaking", especially this bit: "social sciences show that the wages for women workers are lower than for normal workers, meaning that they are unable to work as well and thus earn equal pay".

R.