Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Is it inhumane if it's a cockroach?

Most spiders and bugs I can co-exist with. I ignore them and they go away. I feel guilty when I accidently vacuum up a spider (although I haven't vacuumed in a while, so the spiders are safe for now).

Last night though, there was a cockroach in my kitchen. There was nowhere for it to hide. It kind of ran back and forward on the kitchen bench for a while. I reached over and flicked the on switch on the kettle. The kettle boiled. I poured boiling water on the cockroach and it ran away for about one millisecond and then rolled onto its back and curled up. I was pretty paranoid that it was just playing dead, cos you know these things (and Ding Dongs) will survive a nuclear war. But no, it seems to have worked.

Not quite as horrible as the time in Colombia when we tipped the toaster upside down and about seven dead cockroaches fell out...

R