Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Off with her dreads

I've had dreadlocks for over three years, and I've been psyching myself up for a while now to cut them off. I really liked them, loved them even, but they were often a pain and impossible to make look respectable (not that that's a look I often go for). And I missed being able to have fingers run through my hair (my fingers or someone else's), plaits (although it will take a while before I can do that), and dying my hair (the colour never took on the dreads). I couldn't cut my dreads off before now, because then it would look like I was just cutting them as soon as I stopped being a student, and I don't for a minute believe that to have a good research or academic position I shouldn't have dreads. But, I don't know, I guess it was just time.

So, here I am before the deed.

We decided that of course it would be hilarious to have a dreadlock mullet. I mean, who can resist a mullet?


The worst bit was unknotting the stubs of dreads that we'd kept. Oh but what a fantastic hairstyle it created.


The next day I went to the hairdresser's and said: "I just cut off my dreads. What can you do with this?". As much as I dislike short hair on me, I'm rather impressed with what she managed. Not that you can really see it in this photo. It's kind of a bright red choppy short bob.


I don't know what to do with the dreads. At the moment they're in a Trader Joe's bag in the boot of my car. D wants me to donate them to rastafarian cancer patients, but I can't really see them wanting them. I might sew some of them (there's 77 of them!!!) to my rasta hat to wear to parties. Or, instead of telling people I've cut them, I could just send a dread to them in an envelope. But I'm not sure that I know 77 people who would appreciate that.

It's so weird. I can't stop playing with my hair. And a few people have failed to recognise me, which is amusing.

I'm kind of missing them.

Also, sorry I haven't posted for a while, but I just hadn't gotten organised with the photos, and having cut my hair on Friday it didn't seem right to blog about anything else in the meantime.

R.