Monday, October 03, 2005

Se lucio, Juanes se lucio, ta ta ta

I just got back last night from a week in Cali, Colombia. Work-wise very busy and quite successful, all good. I didn't have much time to catch up with people but managed to see most of my friends there. It was cold (like, down to 20C, and I needed a blanket at night) and rainy most of the time, but on Friday morning we got a rare view of the snow-capped Huila mountains (happens only about four times a year that you can see them from Cali).

On Thursday night I found out that Juanes was playing at the stadium on Saturday. I didn't have time on Friday to try and get a ticket, and by Saturday morning the section all my friends were in was sold out. But luckily there is a thriving black market for this sort of thing in Colombia, and I happened to get into a taxi whose driver had a friend who could get me a ticket (shhh don't tell anyone). So I paid just under double but got a good seat.

I hadn't realised what a big Juanes fan I am. I knew almost all the lyrics to the songs off his Un Dia Normal album, and some off his latest album. Everybody in the whole stadium (half of which was teenage girls) was singing / yelling along to every single song. It was great. Also, he might have to knock someone off my "7 celeb crushes" list (bu-bye Philip Schofield), he's looking very cute with his long hair. The title of this post is one of the chants that would start up every now and again when there was a break, it basically means "Juanes, you were ace".

Afterwards we went and had beer and arepa de choclo con queso (corn cake thing with cheese) at Siete Esquinas (great view over the city) and I got home around 1am and had to get up at 4am to go to the airport. It was a very fitting last night in Colombia.

And now it's Monday and I'm at work in Berkeley and the Gay Maitre D' is here - I sent him off into the city about an hour ago, I'm meeting up with him in North Beach tonight. Yay.

R.