Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Bar the car

Tomorrow is "Bar the Car" day. I will be cycling 12km to work. I would find this prospect daunting, except for the fact that on Sunday I cycled 52km from Myrtleford to Porepunkah (tee hee, place names around here are so cute - have I mentioned Burrumbuttock?) and back. With stops at a nut shop (mmm, macadamias), a winery (mmm, shiraz viognier), a tavern for lunch (mmm, Indian curries) and a berry farm (mmm, raspberry sorbet). I don't think we have any of those on the way to work, so maybe it will be tougher than I anticipate. And then there's the bit where I have to cycle home again at the end of the day.

Part of the point of Bar the Car day is that climate change is a personal responsibility. So remember people: buy locally grown, organic food; reuse and recycle; plant trees; spend creative time, rather than spending money; increase quality of life, rather than standard of living; and a stranger is a friend you haven't met yet.

R.