Monday, April 18, 2005

Yay for bureaucracy

So I rang the embassy this morning and launched into Spanish demanding to know whether it was true what was on the website and would I get a visa and why did they give me an appointment if I couldn't get a visa and what was true and and and...

The guy on the other end of the phone says: "do you want to speak in English, senorita?".

What an insult. I let the senorita slide cos he couldn't have know I'm doctora, but what was he implying about my Spanish?

"Don't you understand my Spanish?"

"Si, claro".

Somehow I didn't trust I would get the right information in English. So Spanish it was. Anway, he promised me the website is wrong and they give visas to foreigners all the time. I asked him about a dozen times if he was sure.

Him: "Do you have any more questions?"

Me: "Yes, are you absolutely sure?".

x 12.

So I got a new appointment for Thursday and managed to change my flights so I fly out tomorrow morning (Tuesday). I still won't relax until I have that visa in my passport.

R.