Friday, June 24, 2005

Australian sons and ostriches*

I'm sick of looking at that green and orange map already. So I need to post something to bump it down.

The Edittor just posted on living in different places, including Australia. So far I've lived in 7 different countries on 4 different continents (for the purposes of sounding more impressive South and North America are separate continents), and am now trying to figure out where to go next.

My contract in Berkeley expires at the end of this year. I'm in the middle of discussing options, searching for funding, and applying for academic positions. In no particular order, the places I could end up next year are:
  • Berkeley, CA, USA
  • Cali, Colombia
  • Vientiane, Laos
  • Colombo, Sri Lanka
  • Los Banos, Philippines
  • Regional Australia
  • Perth, WA, Australia

The thing is, if either of the Australia options work out, they would be long term (for me, long term means more than 2 years). Am I ready for that kind of commitment to Australia? I lived in Perth for 2 years on and off, and there's certainly aspects of it I could get very used to - swimming in the Indian Ocean in summer, for example.

I thought that this move to Berkeley a year ago was the beginning of me stopping in one place, at least for a while, but it seems perhaps not. The thing is, right now it's not a matter of making a decision, it's a matter of seeing what pans out.

If you could choose any of the places I've listed to live for 2 years, where would you choose?

R.

*The beginning of the Australian national anthem (actually: "Australians all let us rejoice").